Monday, November 17, 2014

Mind Your Manners: A Reminder to Thank Those Who Have Helped Us Along the Way

If you have a mother, or are one yourself, you are certainly familiar with the phrase "Mind Your Manners". My own mother would say these words to me every time I neglected to say "please" or "thank you" when I was growing up.  I have said these words to my own children as well, in an effort to not only correct their behavior, but to also save face when someone gave me the impression that they thought perhaps my children are not as well-mannered as I believed them to be. Imagine my surprise when through a conversation with an old friend and colleague, I found out I was guilty of not showing the gratitude that I felt, leaving this person feeling unappreciated.  Believe me, that is never something a self proclaimed, well-mannered woman wants to hear. As mothers we all work tirelessly to see that our children show gratitude for things people give them, whether it be material things, or even encouragement, support, and opportunities. So why is it as adults we so often neglect to follow this same protocol? Is it because we are so wrapped up in ourselves that we forget about those who have helped us to get where we are, or is it that we are so grateful that we assume those deserving know how much we appreciate them?

During my 16 year career in education, I have had the pleasure of working with some amazing educators. I have learned most of what I know and use in my job each day, not through formal education, but through interacting with these innovative, motivating, and caring people. I have taken what I have learned from them, and the opportunities that they have afforded to me, and used it to better myself professionally. That is what I was supposed to do, right? Those of us in the field of education accept this as part of the deal. We mentor by example, and by placing those who are learning from us in situations that will allow them to develop new skills and show growth in their knowledge. Do those who learn from us owe us thanks? Of course they do not. However, is it nice to let someone know how grateful we are for what they have done for us. I'm sure that it is.  So much so, that I had to take this opportunity to make it right to my friend, as well as the many others I may have neglected to pay my gratitude over the years.  So, to those people that I have had the pleasure of working with over the years who have helped mentored me, prepared me, and even put me in situations to allow me to move my career to the next level, I say THANK YOU.  I hope that you feel my gratitude each time you see or read about a success in my career, because you know deep down that YOU were instrumental in helping me be where I am now. And to those who are currently affording me opportunities to grow and advance,  THANK YOU for inspiring me each and every day.

There you go, momma...Your little girl is minding her manners.

0 comments:

Post a Comment